Friday 8 February 2019

Round Velvet Pillow DIY

Are you as obsessed as I am with all the velvet pillows?  If so, read on.




SUPPLIES:
-1/2 yard velvet fabric
-thread to match the velvet
-fabric scissors
-ruler
-straight pins
-pillow form 


While fabric hunting I found this perfect peach velvet fabric and because this is the color of everything good & right in my house right now, I bought some.  I knew exactly what I was going to make!  I thrifted a cushion form several months ago, so all I did was measure across the pillow, right direct center from one side to the other.  Now I took that number and added 1/2" to it so my total was 14 1/2 inches.  That would give me a 1/4" seam allowance all around.  I literally just freehanded it as I drew an X as my center point then just marked out 7 1/4 inches from that X til I had the complete circle marked.  



 From here I just took my pencil and connected the dots and cut out the circle shape.  LOOK at the color!!  **SIGH** This is the front of my pillow.  Now to cut the two back pieces. 



To do this basically I folded my circle in half.  I took the straight edge of my leftover fabric & measured up 3 inches and marked that.  I laid my folded circle, straight edge on the line and just traced the top of the circle on the fabric. 



I cut this piece out, then traced it again on the fabric to give me two back pieces. I cut the second one out. 


 Here is what you should have cut at this point.

 Next I needed something as a batting for the quilted top.  I did not have quilt batt, so I dug in my fabric stash and found some polar fleece.  This was perfect!  I cut out a circle by just laying my velvet piece on top and cutting around it. 


Next, I needed a backing for the fleece.  This also serves as the place for you to trace your lines on so you can sew the starbrust pattern on.  I just used some quilting fabric I had and it doesn't need to match because it's on the inside of the pillow.


Use a ruler to draw your lines on.  I did the first two, in a direct straight cross, then I did 3 between each quarter.  You will have 16 pie segments in total. 


Pin the 3 layers together, making sure your velvet is right side facing out.  Pin them together and just start stitching your lines.  Pay attention to the tension on your fabric.  Keep it a bit taut as that will help prevent any fold overs on the bottom side in your stitching. 



 YESS!!!  It looks great!!


Press the straight edges of your two back pieces over 1/4" then stitch into place. 


Take your two back pieces, any lay the on top of your quilted pillow front.  (OOPS...just realized I forgot to photograph this step..DANG IT!!!!) These will overlap.  You might find you will need to trim a little off the edges of the two flaps to make it fit into the circle of the top.  Go ahead and do that.  Now pin them and stitch the two back pieces to the front, right sides facing together. You are creating an envelope of sorts.  That's it!!  Turn inside out and insert your pillow form. 


"Isn't she loveeelllyyyy?  Isn't she wonderfffulll"



Fluff, rearrange, swoon.  Lather, rinse repeat.  :-))



SHARE:

1 comment

© WENDY KENNEDY. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig