Sunday 3 February 2019

DIY ANTHROPOLOGIE INSPIRED STARBURST TABLE




TBH, I didn't even know I needed this in my life til randomly, while thrifting at Value Village, I found THIS:
THIS LIL GUY WAS $8.99! 

Not gonna lie...it really is nothing special but I saw it and knew I could McGyver it into something cool.  What that was, I didn't quite know. Haha! 

So whilst perusing Pinterest for ideas, I came across this table from Anthropologie.  ***CUE ANGELS SINGING!!!  THIS was my inspiration.


My little table is NOT wood on the top and bottom, but the pedestal portion was.  I was thinking about a faux wood finish then I rememebered a product from Valspar I saw one of my Instagram buddies using and I knew I was going to grab some to try out for myself.  This is what I used but we'll get more into that in a bit.

It was $18.99 at Lowe's (that's CAD so if you live in the US, you will get it cheaper).

Before I started in on anything I gave the table a good scrub because any kind of residue or dirt will affect how a coating goes on and adheres.  Then I gave it a light sand, wiped it down again and primed it with Kilz.  Normally I wouldn't prime but because the table is not wood, I wanted to do that extra step for a good tooth for the paint.


I then painted the pedestal and the base with Rustoleum Chalked in Linen White.  The top I painted with Rustoleum Metallics Gold.  I did 2 coats of both.


Once the paint was dried (I let mine cure overnight) I taped the gold part off with tiny automotive tape I grabbed from my son's tool pile (I totally eyeballed it for the most part) plus some painter's tape I had for the center part.  I measured in 1.5 inches from the edge and just pencil marked it. Then I started in by first taping the center circle, which I drew on by tracing a glass for the circle shape, then I taped on the entire start burst. Once again, I eyeballed placement.  Nothing crazy here!  LOL


Once I had the starburst all taped, I took the Rustoleum Linen White and sprayed the entire table top.  I gave it 2 coats, letting dry between coats. 

 Once it was dry, I peeled off the tape and VOILA!!  The beautiful gold shone through!! 

All the tape is OFF!!

I DIE!!!

Next I grabbed the Vaspar Antiquing wax and an old paint brush that had kind of scruffy edges, because I thought that would make better wood grain lines on the table.  I did one coat only and this stuff is thick but spreads on well, and you do have quite a bit of play time to go over it to make it look just how you want.  Then here is the thing...it takes 48 hours to cure so I left it in the garage for 2 days.  This was SO hard because I wanted it done!  :-))





When everything was dry, I sealed it all with a Spray Varathane, let it dry well, and then the next day screwed the table back together.  





I LOVE love how it turned out.  Considering the original is $398 and mine was $8.99, I would say I will take a little elbow grease, gold paint and antiquing wax any day!! 

Ethel (my MCM chair) needed a little table buddy and it was perfect beside her.  There is really nothing I enjoy more than taking something and bringing it a whole new life for next to nothing. 

I hope this inspires you to see the creative vision.  Sometimes the best things are hiding right in front of our face! 

Cheers,
Wendy






    







SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Excellent knockoff!! Yours is perfect... job well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you realize there is a 12 word phrase you can communicate to your man... that will induce deep emotions of love and impulsive attractiveness to you deep inside his heart?

    That's because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's instinct to love, look after and care for you with all his heart...

    12 Words Will Fuel A Man's Love Instinct

    This instinct is so hardwired into a man's genetics that it will drive him to work harder than ever before to take care of you.

    As a matter of fact, triggering this influential instinct is absolutely essential to having the best ever relationship with your man that once you send your man one of these "Secret Signals"...

    ...You will immediately notice him open his mind and heart to you in such a way he's never expressed before and he will distinguish you as the one and only woman in the universe who has ever truly understood him.

    ReplyDelete

© WENDY KENNEDY. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig